It is a very busy week for the Hospitality Committee! Joan Sambucci, Chairperson—along with her committee members—hosted a lovely and delicious luncheon for six new members of the Friends and Volunteers of the Ocean City Free Public Library (FVOCFPL). As Joan states, “Our New Members bring new energy, fresh ideas, and a new spirit to our organization. Welcome!
New Member Luncheon
National Library Week
Joan Sambucci—Hospitality Chairperson
Make sure you visit the Ocean City Free Public Library. It’s National Library Week! The Hospitality Committee will be in the Atrium where you can enter a drawing for a free beach tag and learn about the many programs our library has to offer!
Author Tea—Sold OUT!
Sales were steady and in the end…tickets for the Annual Author Tea—May 8, 2014 at the historic Flanders Hotel sold out! Attendees will enjoy HIGH tea and author, Carol Brill.
Barbara Weber—Co-Chair Author Tea
Rose Marie Ricci—Co-Chair Author Tea
It’s Time Once Again…For The Annual Author Tea!
With keen attention to detail and a focus on designing an informative and enjoyable afternoon tea, co-chairpersons, Barbara Weber and Rose Marie Ricci, are pleased to release the following information for this 2014 Annual Author Tea!
NEW Year, New Things…
Mark Your Calendar! The Annual Author Tea, sponsored by the Friends and Volunteers of the Ocean City Free Public Library (FVOCFPL), will take place at the historic Flanders Hotel, Thursday, May 8 at 2:00 PM. New this year—attendees will enjoy HIGH Tea.
Carol Brill, author of Peace by Piece and Cape Maybe, will speak. Carol earned an MFA in creative writing from Farleigh Dickinson University. Find her blog at www.4broadminds.blogspot.com/
You’re never too old, too wacky, too wild, to pick up a book and read to a child.
Monday, March 3, 2014 many schools celebrated Read Across America in honor of the birthday (actual birthday—March 2) of Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel—better known as Dr. Seuss. Read Across America began in 1997 as a way to celebrate Reading! Each year The Friends and Volunteers of the Ocean City Free Public Library (F&V)—along with community members—look forward to reading to K-3 Ocean City Primary School and Head Start students. Well, this year, Mother Nature intervened and the gift of snow thwarted our plans!
The F&V Read Across America BackStory…
This beloved F&V project requires lots of planning, coordination, and teamwork. Reading to the children is the highlight, but would not be possible without…
- Collaborating with the Ocean City Free Public Library (OCFPL)…Children’s Librarian, Leslie Clarke & F&V member, Pam Hepner, select books (3 different titles for each grade & Head Start)
- Ordering and receiving the books…funds come from F&V book sales
- Creating and copying letters to parents
- Gathering the bookmarks and book bags donated by the OCFPL
- Making Nameplates for each book
- Dividing books into grade levels, and then sub-dividing them into classrooms.
- Gathering grocery bags and boxes to hold the books as well as make the delivery to the school & classrooms so much easier…
- This year, on February 24, F&V volunteers—under the direction of Barbara Riggione, Read Across America Chairperson—met at the OCFPL to…
- Place a nameplate into each book
- Place the letter to Parents and a bookmark inside each book
- Put a prepared book into a book bag
- Put the number of book bags needed for each classroom into a grocery bag marked with the name of the teacher and the number of students
- Place the classroom-ready bags into a larger box, and then…
- Transport the boxes to Barbara Riggione’s car for eventual delivery to the school…but this year, we were lucky…
Ken Riggione showed up just in time to assist with the loading of the boxes into Barbara’s car. And, local firefighters—who were waiting for a meeting—generously offered to help! While we didn’t get to read to the students, we hope each student will enjoy this gift and will continue to develop a love for READING!
The Friends and Volunteers of the Ocean City Free Public Library, wish to express our THANKS for all who participated in the Presidents’ Weekend Book Sale!
Join us for our Presidents’ Weekend Book Sale!
Download a copy of the flyer: FebruaryFlyer